 Robotics / 18215
Re: Lego Team Challenge or RIS?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2002 06:14:11 GMT

In article <Gy8yHo.EsB@lugnet.com>,
"Benjamin Medinets" <bmedinets@excite.com> wrote:

In lugnet.robotics, Wayne Watson writes:
I've been working towards teaching a one week robotics class this summer
with a friend using
MindStorms RIS 2.0. The class is still 3 weeks away. The director went to
order the kits and ended
up contacting Dacta, which is the educational arm of Lego. They recommended
their Team Challenge
2.5, which features RoboLab. The claim is that it's a better teaching tool
even though it's about
$30 more per kit. Anyone have experience with 2.5 to offer suggestions?

I think its the flexability...the robolabs offer additional inputs and
outputs, and offer direct connection from the computer to the RoboLab
Interface.  Yes, the RIS does have the USB Infared Transmitter/Receiver,
the allowance to program on the computer to the ROBOLAB is very nice, and
(assuming) that the interface is as good if not better than the software...
I mean firmware used by RIS machine.

I think you might be confusing Robolab with the older Control Lab
product.  Control Lab is (was?) an I/O box that connects to a computer
via RS-232 and allows control of 8 motors, 4 passive sensors
(touch/temperature) and 4 active sensors (light/rotation).  I don't
believe there is any facility for Control Lab to operate autonomously
from the host computer.

Robolab is software that can be used to program and/or interact with the
RCX.  The RCX is the same programmable brick used in Mindstorms Robotics
Invention System.  Robolab uses the same firmware as RIS 2.0.

Personally, I agree with Dacta that Robolab is better suited for
education (especially for younger students).  However, RIS can be used
quite effectively as well.  In First Lego League, the use of RIS or
Robolab software often comes down to personal preference.

Dave