 Robotics / 18180
Re: ArtBot -- The Inside Story (program)?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 15:00:56 GMT

I think I've discovered my hangup with the redraw capability. It is likely that it does not need
a line following method. After one set of three petals is drawn, all one needs to do is to detect
where the last line drawn is, which shouldn't be very far away. Now back up a 1/4 inch and repeat
the figure drawing process. Initially the construction details on the CD puts the light sensor
behind the front pen. I noticed a hint in the Design Briefs that mentioned moving the light sensor
ahead of the pen. Without the sensor being ahead of the pen, this becomes a very nasty problem.

When I first looked at the Artot movie, it looked like the next figure was being drawn inside the
last one. It's not. The subsequent three petal figures overlap. Maybe one can slow down the movie
somehow to see what's really happening more easily.

Another hangup with the sample program provided is that it doesn't produce a curve exactly like that
in the artbot movie. It overdraws the figure. That is, suppose you are drawing a triangle. It would
overshoot the intended final vertex. Artbot does something like that with the petals.  One only has
to make some slight changes to the sample code so the end of drawing for the third petal ends up
near the start of the figure.

Artbot doesn't seem to be discussed much anywhere. That seems odd, since it is a major challenge in
2.0.

gerogo@007mundo.com wrote:

Hello, you can share your artbot building instructions an Software in your personal homepage?

regards

--
      Wayne T. Watson (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N, 2,701 feet), Nevada City, CA

                   "Hell is truth seen too late."  -- John Locke

                        Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>
           Imaginarium Museum: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews/imaginarium.html>