 Robotics / 18139
  Compass or Gyro

I am building a six legged robot to emulate an ant, and I need a good way to tell what direction it is facing. I am using a Handy Board with an extension board, and I don't want to spend too much. I have looked at compasses and gyros, but I am not (...) (22 years ago, 15-Jun-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Compass or Gyro

Derek, I think the sensor you need really depends on the application. I believe a compass would be better for absolute positioning, and a gyro would be better for relative positioning. I don't really know a lot about gyro's, but I think that will (...) (22 years ago, 18-Jun-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Compass or Gyro

(...) Derek, what you need to assess is how stable you need a reading (I guess you want an heading). A compass needs a stable platform to provide you with a decent value. Any acceleration (turning is a kind of acceleration) is going to spoil you (...) (22 years ago, 19-Jun-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Compass or Gyro

About the most economical way to install a compass is the Dinsmore analog unit. It has two analog outputs which you will need to do some serious processing on, they aren't sin and cos, so you have to do a sort of arctan and then lookup table (...) (22 years ago, 19-Jun-02, to lugnet.robotics)