 Robotics / 18037
RE: What's next for MindStorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2002 20:37:27 GMT

I would have to agree with Rob here. If the Spybots can not communicate
with other Mindstorms stuff then they become a 30 day toy. Its amazing
the Lego price for a short-term kit is $60.00. Maybe I need to find a
job in Denmark!

My family and I are big fans of Lego Technical, Mindstorms, Pirates, and
Trains. You can always take them apart and rebuild or reprogram them.
Your imagination rules. If the Spybots are fixed instructions or gsmes
in a Scout like format with no communications then my boys will have
them in the closet in 30 days.

Anybody know any big new technical kits coming out ?? I wish for more
complex things like the Space Shuttle.

Thanks

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Limbaugh [mailto:RLimbaugh@greenfieldgroup.com]
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2002 1:20 PM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: RE: What's next for MindStorms

The 40t double-bevel gear is one I haven't seen before.  The smaller two
are readily available in the various Bionicle kits.

Gigamesh interests me because of all those gears, the 12 triple rotors,
and the 18 bogey wheels.  Snaptrax, Shadowstrike, and Technojaw all have
pretty common parts in them.  The "special" parts all appear to be those
found in Bionicle Bohrok sets.  The exception is Technojaw's tie-rod
arms.

As you mention, the value must be in the smarts.  If we're lucky,
they'll be some moderate combination between the Bionicle Manas and
Mindstorm Scouts.  The Spybots appear to have more than one motor output
and the review suggests they have behaviors similar to the ones
programmed into the Scout.  Multi-player missions suggest the Spybots
are addressable like the Manas.

Hopefully the embedded system won't be locked like the Scout is, and
hopefully they'll respond to IR messages from other Mindstorms stuff.
Otherwise, these Spybots will wear out their novelty rather quickly.