 Robotics / 17914
Re: Robotics Courses
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 10:22:19 GMT

Hi,

Firstly, can I say that the book mentioned in a previous post on this
thread, and its sister publication regarding Lejos, are excellent; I
received evaluation copies for a new module we are developing - see later -
and they are to be recommended IMHO.

Secondly, I would be very interested to see what others are doing with
Mindstorms. We have been doing some very tiring work with schools outreach,
called "Mars or Bust!"; for details, look at our web site:

http://www.comp.glam.ac.uk/staff/mreddy/Mars-or-Bust/

It needs some updating after a 5 week long project in a local museum,
working with 30 kids a day 9a total of about 500 children) with 6 kits,
which received a lot of wear!

If you are interested in what the "Mars or Bust!" team are looking at doing
next, we are slightly peeved that someone beat us to it (in the States at
least), by combining Lego Mindstorms with Scrapheap Challenge (aka Junkyard
Wars in the US). Cathy Rogers, the executive producer, is a personal hero of
mine! She and the RDS Television team, the makers of both programmes, have
an excellent model, but accessibility in the "I could do that too!" mode is
not good; it is enjoyable to watch, but the implicit skill level might put
people off from thinking that they could be involved. Most of the
competitors have extensive engineering experience - I would find it hard to
do the engine mods that they do in minutes - and need to weld fast and well.
Here's our pitch on the concept, brutally nicked from the Brickyard Wars
concept (see attached email). Credit for "simultaneous invention" :-) but
"first past the post" implementation :-( must go to David Schilling
davidNO@SPAMsunteleia.com. Check out the Lugnet archives for his posts on
Brickyard Wars...

http://news.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.robotics:17386

We want to set various challenges for our final year students as part of the
Anthrobotics module here at the University of Glamorgan Further details
available upon request, but note that this is not for citation or
redistribution without permission.

There are some amazing similarities with the BrickFest model, but an
important part of the module here would be in the holistic scientific
element: Namely, students would be required to keep a learning log of their
activities and development and also present the scientific and engineering
issues involved in each challenge as a web site for their team's efforts.

I will keep you posted, but we are also keen to use a cut down version of
this stuff with day sessions for schools and life-long learners. Details
from me upon request.

Mike Reddy, Senior Lecturer
--
Web: http://www.comp.glam.ac.uk/staff/mreddy/
Snail: School of Computing, University of Glamorgan,