 Robotics / 17902
Re: General IR question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 14 May 2002 03:20:19 GMT

Someone has a site with a video of a robot they made.  In the video, you can
see the two IR LED's blink.  The site owner made a comment about what the
blinking was caused from.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the site address...  I think the site had
projects using Killough and Syncro-Drive platforms.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Baker" <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
To: <dan@flashfilmworks.com>
Cc: "lego" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2002 11:01 PM
Subject: Re: General IR question

Dan Novy wrote:

    In general, what's the difference between the IR "signal" that the
tower and RCX use to communicate and the IR energy used in thermal
imaging?  Is it just a matter of frequency?  If the RCX was pointed at
an IR camera, what what would it see?

IR sensors (of the type used by the military for night operations for • example)
operate over some fixed range of IR frequencies - some work in the near IR
(or perhaps even somewhat into the Red end of the visible spectrum) - • others
in the far infra-red where temperature is easier to sense.

I'm not sure what frequency the RCX generates - but I'm told that it's
visible even in most domestic camcorders - so it's probably in the near
IR range.  That's not really in the "thermal" range (although that's a
vague term) - it's really light that's just a tiny bit too Red for your
eyes to pick up.

I've not checked the RCX - but I did try looking at the IRDA port of my
palmtop in a friend's camcorder - and it was visible as a fairly bright
dot when the room lights were dimmed just right.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net