 Robotics / 17747
  RE: Not totally satisfied with the Lego Mindstorm concept: Mathematical variables and direct connection PC/mechanical device

You need to look up pbForth (or is it pBrick?) and NQC. Those are two languages for the rcx that have variables -- specifically math, as I'm not sure if there are strings for the RCX. But I digress, those have variables. My guess, and I am taking a (...) (22 years ago, 24-Apr-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Not totally satisfied with the Lego Mindstorm concept: Mathematical variables and direct connection PC/mechanical device

Hi group! I got some questions. For those not interested in my pre-LegoMindstorm history, go diretly to THE POINTS HISTORY: I learned to program in Basic in 1985 on a Commandore Vic20 and was fantacising about connecting mechanical items to my (...) (22 years ago, 24-Apr-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Not totally satisfied with the Lego Mindstorm concept: Mathematical variables and direct connection PC/mechanical device

(...) You need to download the free program "NQC" (which stands for 'Not Quite C'). It's a compiler for a subset of the C programming language for the RCX - and with it you can certainly program the RCX to do things with variables. (...) In (...) (22 years ago, 24-Apr-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Not totally satisfied with the Lego Mindstorm concept: Mathematical variables and direct connection PC/mechanical device

(...) That's OK so long as the RCX doesn't get out of IR contact with the PC - as can *EASILY* happen. You need to have at least some autonomous code inside the robot that will enable it to regain contact with the PC by (for example) backtracking (...) (22 years ago, 24-Apr-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Not totally satisfied with the Lego Mindstorm concept: Mathematical variables and direct connection PC/mechanical device

(...) No problem with leJOS. (...) leJOS is almost full Java, the main limitations are limited memory, no garbage collection, and only a core part of the Java API is supported. (...) I don't completely understand what you mean by mathematical (...) (22 years ago, 24-Apr-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Not totally satisfied with the Lego Mindstorm concept: Mathematical variables and direct connection PC/mechanical device

Stig, a couple years ago I was in the same place you are. I got one for xmas when it first came out. I was rather disappointed in the limitations of the LM, so I gave it to a 13 year old budding engineer. In retrospect, I guess I just didn't have (...) (22 years ago, 24-Apr-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  [OT] cats (was RE: Not totally satisfied with the Lego Mindstorm concept: Mathematical variables and direct connection PC/mechanical device)

(...) there is a school of thought that says there is no such thing as too much time spent dismembering cats (22 years ago, 24-Apr-02, to lugnet.robotics)