 Robotics / 17109
Re: broken motor, how to take apart?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 22:17:23 GMT

I have had luck bringing motors of all sizes back to
life, by soaking them in WD-40 overnight and then
spinning them up with an electric drill.

Robb,

--- John Barnes <barnes@sensors.com> wrote:
This general subject has been discussed here before.
I'm sure you can search
the lugnet archives for more info.

However, as my supply of motors has aged, I too have
noted that they do tend
to seize or at least stiffen up with lack of use.

I have rejuvinated a few in that state by
momentarily applying 9 - 10 volts
from a fairly stiff source like a lab power supply.
If you apply power in
the forward and then reverse direction a few times,
you may well find you
can "jerk" the motor back to life.

The really bad thing to do is to atemppt to force it
by turning the shaft.
The internal gearing up is so extreme, that in all
likelyhood, you will
irrepairably damage something. It is much better to
try and free the gear
train from within!

JB

In lugnet.robotics, Mike Barrett writes:
Not sure if this is the right group...anyway
Just got back into Lego robot and rebuilt one of my • bots. But one of the
motors has  become very tight, will just about • turn. The motor was left
unused for a bout 9 months in a dry room so not • sure what has happened to
it. As it came from my RIS set (brought when they • first came out) I guess
its not under guarantee any more.
I would like to find out what it wrong with it so • has anyone taken one
apart? If so how?
thanks
mike barrett
--