 Robotics / 17050
17049  |  17051
Subject:
wireless RF RCX communication?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 16:29:11 GMT

I've been thinking about how I might replace the RCX's IR communication with
something that doesn't require line-of-sight, eg using RF. I'm not much of an
analog hardware guy so I thought I'd ask about the feasability of it first...

I'm considering replacing the IR tower with a serial RF transceiver connected
to the serial port of the PC, eg along the lines of
http://www.connectionlab.com/elmo/ (which uses the Handyboard instead of the
RCX). On the RCX I'd have a similar circuit but the serial in/out connected to
an IR LED and phototransistor directly in front of the RCX's IR window to
convert the serial RF signal into a serial IR signal for the RCX. Sound
reasonable? What sort of pitfalls should I look out for?

Thanks,

- Gareth