 Robotics / 16859
  Mindstorms on RailRoad?

I got my son a Lego Train set for Xmas - and have been trying to figure out how to build a Mindstorms robot to run on Lego train track. * The Train motor isn't much use since it picks it's power (and hence speed and direction) from the track. * The (...) (23 years ago, 27-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorms on RailRoad?

(...) This is a recurring topic in .trains and the consensus seems to be that a mobile RCX brick requires either that it is battery powered (not great for battery life), or that you do surgery on the motor. The surgery that needs to be done is well (...) (23 years ago, 27-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Mindstorms on RailRoad?

(...) I don't mind that the RCX is battery powered - I want to make a robot that happens to run on rails rather than some long running train that happens to have an RCX onboard. I don't really want to use the train motor at all (modified or not). (...) (23 years ago, 27-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorms on RailRoad?

(...) Lego (...) Isn't that the seme thing? If you modify the train motor to accept power from the RCX, you have wheels that roll nicely on the train track. Anyway, have you tried the small yellow/white wheels that come with the solid rubber tires? (...) (23 years ago, 27-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Mindstorms on RailRoad?

(...) No problem, then. (that wasn't what you asked at first, you complained that the train motor took power from the track...) In that case just put *no* power on the rails (that is, run on some track not connected to any power) and feed one of the (...) (23 years ago, 27-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Mindstorms on RailRoad?

In lugnet.robotics, Larry Pieniazek writes: <snip> (...) Why not use the old 4.5volt rails? (Presuming Steve has or can get some...) Or, as for driving it, could the setup from the 4533 'track snow remover' (URL) used by driving the middle axle? I (...) (23 years ago, 27-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Mindstorms on RailRoad?

(...) Yup, that would work too. Sometimes good deals can be had on these if you keep your eyes open. Especially on the blue ones if you're not fussy about color. (...) That seems to work a lot better for picking motion up from the rails than for (...) (23 years ago, 27-Dec-01, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains)