 Robotics / 16761
Re: Injection-Molding Factory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 15:17:17 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Jerry Kalpin writes:
My 0.00000250 Ton LEGO Injection-Molding Factory can be seen at
http://www3.sympatico.ca/jdkalpin.  Navigate to the section:  "Inj. Molding
Factory".

I will try to answer your questions here:

Andrew- ROBOLAB is a great program.  NQC is also a great program.  I have
used them both.  It depends on which you prefer.  In my case, I do not use
(say) C++ elsewhere and I find ROBOLAB easier to remember, that is, I don't
forget how to do it between projects.  Also, it seems to be in the spirit of
LEGO, (fitting blocks together).

Serge-  I bought Vision Command for the parts, with hopes of using the
camera as a sensor in a future project.  But it does have a built-in
microphone on a dandy long 5m USB cable and the high background actually
enhances 'machinery noise'.  So I'm not disappointed.

Jean-Philippe-  If you want a compact good-looking movie, buy QuickTime Pro.
It lets you take a series of still images (jpegs) and turn them into a movie
at whatever frame-rate you want. You can splice in a sound-track.  For LEGO
machines, 6 fps is adequate.  My digital camera, a Nikon 950, has a setting
that, when you hold down the button, will take VHS (640 x 480) images at 1/2
sec intervals.  Why that should look realistic at 6 fps... is a mystery to
me... but it does.  All of this is made easier with Thumbs Plus software
from Cerious Software, www.cerious.com.  They have a wizard that lets you
batch-process hundreds of frames in one operation.  Typically:  Increase
brightness by 30% and resample to 320 x 240.  The entire subdirectory is
done in seconds.

Robert- You need lots of light to drive the lense-opening small and the
exposure high.  I recommend a 500 w halogen construction lamp, much cheaper
than a fancy photo-flood equipment.  LEGO machines don't require careful
color-balance and shadow control, they need lots of light.

Thanks again to everyone for your nice notes!

Jerry