 Robotics / 16746
Re: Expansion sets questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 19:59:28 GMT

Greetings, Julie!

   IMHO you're perfectly safe in putting them under the tree! To be honest,
"RIS required" seems pretty far-fetched of LEGO... I believe the software on
the CDROM only provides building instructions (and may integrate with RIS is
some manner), but other than that the pieces will happily click together
with the Discovery set!
   The Extreme Creatures' fibre-optic 'light' can be powered by the same
motor output used to rotate it. Same goes for the extra motor in Robosports
-- click two motors on one output to control both simultaneously. The Mars
set has no electronic pieces and will integrate very easily. The only
difference your son might see is that his LEGO robot has a big blue brick
and not a big yellow one ;-)

   Cheers,

Carl Jagt

In lugnet.robotics, Julie Krenz writes:
Feeling quite ignorant here...last year I bought my son 9735 Robotics Discovery
Set for Christmas.

This year, since I just can't let cheap Lego sit on a shelf ;-) I picked up
9730 RoboSports,9732 Extreme Creatures and 9736 Exploration Mars.

Those boxes all say they require Robotics Invention System. Sooo... 9730,9732
and 9736 pretty much won't do my son any good since we have 9735 Discovery and
not an Invention Kit??

Will my 11 year old have fun with these sets anyway? Or will he think I'm a
moron for giving him expansion sets that he doesn't have the main set for?

Should I hold off on giving these to him until we get the RIS?

Thanks!
Julie