 Robotics / 16748
Re: Expansion sets questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 20:27:29 GMT

Carl Jagt wrote:

Greetings, Julie!

   IMHO you're perfectly safe in putting them under the tree! To be honest,
"RIS required" seems pretty far-fetched of LEGO... I believe the software on
the CDROM only provides building instructions (and may integrate with RIS is
some manner), but other than that the pieces will happily click together
with the Discovery set!
   The Extreme Creatures' fibre-optic 'light' can be powered by the same
motor output used to rotate it. Same goes for the extra motor in Robosports
-- click two motors on one output to control both simultaneously. The Mars
set has no electronic pieces and will integrate very easily. The only
difference your son might see is that his LEGO robot has a big blue brick
and not a big yellow one ;-)

One thing that's thrown me in the past is that the big blue brick and the
big yellow brick (The Scout and RCX respectively) are not quite the same height
and have totally different mounting holes.

Whilst it's generally possible to adapt Scout models to RCX and vice-versa,
it's not always possible to use the build instructions 'as-is' - and only
you can judge how well your son will deal with that little challenge.

However, if he's like my son, the build instructions are *NEVER* followed
all Lego sets end up being basically just "MORE PARTS!".

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net