 Robotics / 16699
Re: Bummer!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 05:19:16 GMT

Other books have covered the varieties of firmwares and OSs for the RIS. The
subject matter of my now-postponed LEGO Mindstorms book is in a different
direction. pbForth gets all of one paragraph...not a comment on pbForth,
just an editorial decision I had to make. I elected to provide all the
coding examples in NQC, though by the time the book eventually comes out,
who knows, I might elect to use something different.

Because I write books nowadays only for the fun of it (I have a regular
full-time job doing movie-related stuff), I might as well not try to go up
against the inevitable rush of early books -- I had my fill of that when I
was writing computer books, and it's just no fun to see your book languish
because of over-publishing.

Unfortunately, these days online book retailers like B&N and Amazon
pre-announce forthcoming books, and it's actually not uncommon for books to
be cancelled or postponed; before the Internet, the public just didn't know
about such things. But it *is* a bummer when something you wanted doesn't
come out. Well, I'll just have to make sure it's a really good book when it
does come out! <g>

-- Gordon

In lugnet.robotics, Matt Lawrence <matt@technoronin.com> writes:

I've just recently joined the list and started to mess with Lego
Mindstorms, so I hope this comment isn't redundant.

I'm really unhappy with the attitude towards Forth in the O'Reilly book, I
hope you will portray it in a more favorable light.

-- Matt