 Robotics / 16686
Re: rcx power circuit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 09:59:58 GMT

Gareth Bestor wrote:

In lugnet.robotics, uhr@mathias.net writes:
- because of the rectifier circuit in the 1.0, the polarity
of the external power plug doesn't matter, you can
even attach an ac source (which i tested) and even
more than 12v (which i didn't test, don't sue me!).
i wouldn't recommend this though, cause the regulator
ic would then probably produce too much heat.

FYI - I ran my RCX1.0 for a while with a 12V DC adapter. The RCX has "9-12V"
printed above the plug. One day I thought I check my DC adapter and found it
was actually putting out 18V!

Did you check it with a load (such as the RCX) on it?  Some power supplies can
only regulate the voltage when there is some kind of load.  If you just measure
the voltage with nothing except a meter on the end, it may well be insanely high
but it was probably putting out something only a little over 12v when the RCX
was connected.

Needless to say I stopped using it, but I had
been running the RCX for quite long periods of time at 18V with apparantly no
permanent damage.

Whilst that *might* be true, it's more likely that you were actually running
it at 12v.

I wouldn't recommend this of course, but the RCX does seem to
have a high tolerance for abuse.

Yes - I'm always impressed by the way Lego engineer electrical/electronic
parts to survive abuse.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net