 Robotics / 16677
16676  |  16678
Subject:
rcx power circuit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 20:15:58 GMT

hi list again!

thanks a lot for all your replies to my postings about
accu pack and power plugs!

since i already got my ordered 1.0 rcx's today (thanks rob!)
and now own all versions of the rcx, i disassembled them
all to have a look at the power circuit.

here are the results:

- rcx 1.0 (with power plug)
  * the two inputs (plug and batteries) are completely
    independent. there isn't even a direct ground connection
    between them.
  * the external power source is rectified with a bridge
    rectifier (4 diodes), filtered with 6 caps of 330uF each
    and then stabilized with a voltage regulator ic.
  * the positive pole of the battery input is protected with
    a diode against batteries put in the wrong way.
  * the internal batteries don't get disconnected when
    an external power plug is inserted - at least not
    mechanically.

- rcx 1.5 (mine says "1.0" on it, but has no power plug)
  and rcx 2.0
  * the rcx 1.5 and 2.0 versions seem to have an identical
    circuit.
  * the sophisticated stabilization circuit is omitted (no caps,
    no regulator, no rectifier diodes and no plug of course).
  * instead, there's a big cap (1000uF) and a ferrite "ring"
    on the battery input (probably for some kind of filtering
    if someone still connects an external power source).
  * i couldn't find a diode behind the positive battery pole.
  * the piezo beeper sits where the 6 caps have been in
    1.5, no longer under the display.

conclusions:

- the rcx 1.0 (with power plug) is the one to get!
  it has a great power circuit. lego is obviously cutting
  costs by omitting all these parts in rcx 1.5 and 2.0.
  if - as reported - you can use 2.0 soft- and firmware
  for the 1.0 as well, there is no reason to use something
  else. get as much of those sturdy oldies but goldies
  as you can!

- because of the rectifier circuit in the 1.0, the polarity
  of the external power plug doesn't matter, you can
  even attach an ac source (which i tested) and even
  more than 12v (which i didn't test, don't sue me!).
  i wouldn't recommend this though, cause the regulator
  ic would then probably produce too much heat.

- for my "accu pack application", this means that it is
  perfectly safe to attach an accu pack (or any other
  power source) of up to 12v to the external power plug
  of an rcx 1.0 along with normal batteries in the brick!
  it has, however, to be tested first, which ones get
  consumed quicker.
  for charging, the accu pack can remain connected, as
  long as the charger's voltage doesn't rise above 12v.
  but i still recommend to disconnect it from the rcx...

pfhh, long post. hope nobody got bored or pissed...
greetings
mat