 Robotics / 16550
    Camera IR and the RCX —Jack Gregory
   I am a coach of a bunch of FLL kids, and have heard tournament organizers say "Auto-focus cameras may not be used". How real is this? Seems to me, the only thing that could affect an RCX that was not programmed to listen for IR messages is something (...) (23 years ago, 20-Nov-01, to lugnet.robotics)

        RE: Camera IR and the RCX —Ralph Hempel
     (...) Yes, I can confirm that almost any IR source will confise the data coming to the IR receiver of the RCX. That includes stuff like PalmPilots, Win PDAs, TV remote controls, IR link watches, video-cameras, and hand-held autofocus cameras. Think (...) (23 years ago, 20-Nov-01, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Camera IR and the RCX —Jack Gregory
     I understand that even when it isn't programmed to do so, the IR subsystem in the RCX is operational. Otherwise, the remote wouldn't work. So we know it is "listening", even though the kids programs in these robots aren't programmed to listen for (...) (23 years ago, 20-Nov-01, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Camera IR and the RCX —Dean Hystad
   I judged several FLL competitions last year. I heard quite a few tales about programs mysteriously vanishing. By the state finals, most teams had adopted the technique of covering the IR sensor to prevent inadvertent reprogramming. I have also found (...) (23 years ago, 20-Nov-01, to lugnet.robotics)