 Robotics / 16556
Re: Camera IR and the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2001 22:16:27 GMT

I judged several FLL competitions last year.  I heard quite a few tales
about programs mysteriously vanishing.  By the state finals, most teams had
adopted the technique of covering the IR sensor to prevent inadvertent
reprogramming.

I have also found that the RCX responds in some way to most of the remotes I
have around the house.  It's not a big stretch to believe that an IR device
would generate a signal that could be interpreted as start program download
or something similar.

There is no way they can ban autofocus cameras from the competition. It's
the only kind of camera that most people have.  The cameras will show up,
and pictures will be taken.  It is better to notify the teams that there is
a potential for disaster, and that they should take defensive measures.

Good luck to your team.