 Robotics / 16492
Re: hovercraft?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 11 Nov 2001 15:55:08 GMT

Hello,

my name is Horst, I am from Germany, and I recently bought a used RIS 1.5
(but haven't yet built anything from it). I jumped into this group just
recently, this is why I didn't post this reply earlier ...

Has anyone ever built an RCX hovercraft?  On the plane back from a ROBOLAB
workshop in Bangkok I noticed that on page 151 of the SkyMall catalog has a
Remote Control Hovercraft with a "9.6 rechargeable battery pack" and "Three
separate motors" ... sounds like it could be done, although maybe with a
9-volt battery and some solder instead of the six AA's...

Every electrically powered Hovercraft has to use an extremely light
structure, and high power, low weight motors. Even with all that, it usually
cannot load batteries for more than a few minutes of operation.

I have seen a Hovercraft with fischertechnik some time ago, but
fischertechnik at that time had a way to build part of the structure from
styrofoam, which is very light-weight. Even with that, they had to run the
motors with a higher tahn usual voltage, so they would probably not last
very long in such an application.

Having said all that, I doubt that it can be done with pure LEGO. Also, I
don't see how the RCX brick can be sensibly used. As a remote control
receiver?

Greetings

Horst