 Robotics / 16430
Re: Mechanical tricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 15:54:32 GMT

Try driving a gear off-center (ie put the drive axle of the motor into one
of the other holes in the gear). This may not give you exactly the
behaviour you want though.

Rick Clark wrote:

Hello,

I'm looking for a mechanical (non-robotic) solution to a technic problem I'm
facing. (I crossposted to robotics, cause you guys think about gears all the
time, too. Plus, you're really smart and stuff.)

My input is a constantly rotating motor. What I'd like is to add a pause to a
rotation at every 1/2 turn. That is, I'd like a wheel to turn halfway, then
pause for a second or two, then turn the rest of the way, then pause again, then
begin again.

Alternately, it could turn halfway, pause, then turn backward halfway, then
pause, etc.

I've thought about cam gears, and about pushrods, and the like, but my mind does
not visualize gears and such very well. Anyone got any bright ideas that could
help me?

Thanks in advance!

Rick Clark

--
    /"\
    \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign - Say NO to HTML in email and news