 Technic / 6033
Re: Mechanical tricks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 20:49:35 GMT

I happened upon a similar requirement some time back and discovered that
(Technica ref http://w3.one.net/~hughesj/technica/registry/gear/gear_7.html)
Miscellaneous gears - Knob wheel 32072 are able to "mesh" like gears (ie
rotating in the same plane) providing an intermittent drive. These parts
have shown up in a number of technic sets in the last 12 months.

JB

In lugnet.technic, Rick Clark writes:
Hello,

I'm looking for a mechanical (non-robotic) solution to a technic problem I'm
facing. (I crossposted to robotics, cause you guys think about gears all the
time, too. Plus, you're really smart and stuff.)

My input is a constantly rotating motor. What I'd like is to add a pause to a
rotation at every 1/2 turn. That is, I'd like a wheel to turn halfway, then
pause for a second or two, then turn the rest of the way, then pause again, then
begin again.

Alternately, it could turn halfway, pause, then turn backward halfway, then
pause, etc.

I've thought about cam gears, and about pushrods, and the like, but my mind does
not visualize gears and such very well. Anyone got any bright ideas that could
help me?

Thanks in advance!

Rick Clark