 Robotics / 16313
Re: Robolab 2.5
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 19:53:29 GMT

It is in fact the "Robolab Getting Started 3 Teacher's Guide." (There is no
documentation with the 2.5 upgrade CD). I found it useful for providing an
overview of the new features, but it is by no means a technical manual.
There are also several features in 2.5 that it does not cover. It's not very
good value for money. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the context help
facility in 2.5 is really good. Most help screens have a click here for more
help option that shows working examples of how to use a particlar feature in
a program. I agree with you that Robolab badly needs a good technical
manual. I would really like see Lego Dacta use its Web site to support and
explain the use of this product more. In fact in general Lego seems to put
less and less background technical information on its Web sites, which is a
shame since I believe this type of information helps Lego grow the customer
base for a product (especially when introducing new products or product
releases). Thank goodness for LugNet! A while ago I bought the "LabView
Student Edition 6i", which contains good technical information on LabView
(on which RoboLab is based), but it by no means a substitite for a Robolab
specific manual. Colin.

In lugnet.robotics, Jerry Kalpin writes:
I assume the 'manual' is the Robolab Manual.  Is it the upgraded Teachers'
Guide or does ver 2.5 actually come with a manual?

I have used Robolab ver 2.0 for several months.  It is impressive.  But it
needs a manual to help with subvi's and their help screens and other
advanced features.  No-one, so far, seems willing to recommend the Teachers'
Guide as a technical manual.

Can anyone comment on this issue?

Colin, thanks for your well written posts.

Jerry