 Robotics / 16049
Re: Mars Rover Robot - Legos in Universities
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 17:45:38 GMT

At 09:08 8/29/2001 -0400, Jones, James wrote:

Ok, this may not be a lego question, but I am hoping some of you will have
some suggestions.  My engineering class is looking into the possibility of
building a Mars Rover Prototype.  I was thinking that maybe this would be a
good handyboard project or even a parallax type project, but I am
definitely open to suggestions.  We were even thinking about building a
mars landscape and running the bot via the internet.  I would even consider
some kits or partial prebuilts.  If you have any ideals, links to similar
projects, or just suggestions, please let me know.

Well, at the Univ of Utah the senior project class is using JStamp and JCX
with Lego Mindstorms. Here is the class website:
http://www2.ece.utah.edu/~ce4710/

and JStamp is at http://www.jstamp.com with links from there to JCX, etc.
The JCX info on the website is in need of updating (just too busy lately!).

We are using prototypes of the JCX hardware now, and it will be in
production this fall -- I'm not sure if that is in time for you.

The attraction of JStamp is that it's real Java (J2ME CLDC with CDC
coming), has enough power (32 bit core at up to 80 MHz), low power (10 mA
running off the 9V Lego battery pack or a 9.6V NiMH rechargeable which is
what we use), enough memory (512K SRAM and 512K-2MB flash) and readily
available great tools such as JBuilder, etc.

With JCX, standard Lego motors and sensors just plug on. Write your code in
Java (we already have class files to support that) and you're on your way.
Or add on other sensors such as ultrasonic ranging (we're using that in the
class too).

So for colleges, you can use it for robotics, Java, and embedded systems
all at once.

Bruce Boyes
------- WWW.SYSTRONIX.COM ----------
  Real embedded Java and much more