 Robotics / 15759
Re: ...venting and questioning....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 18:00:46 GMT

Good morning, with respect to value, I have been attempting to buy an RIS
v1.5 on ebay......with no results.  I know the retail for an RIS v1.5 and
the new v2.0 is $199.99 +- .  Why then do bidders and buyers pay within
$25.00-30.00 of the retail price, when after adding shipping and handling,
which many ebay sellers use as a profit center, the cost is very nearly
equal to the cost of a new set ?

No kidding.  Many discussions on Lugnet have echoed this sentiment.  The
only arguments I've seen so far that make sense are that some people
cannot find the item locally, or they have not researched and considered
the local cost vs eBay cost, or they get caught up in the "excitement" of
an auction and overbid stupidly.

Myself, I've screwed up a couple of times by rushing and ended up paying
more than I should have for an item, so I know how it feels.  Most
recently was buying a couple of Znap sets for the motors without
realizing that several BrickBay sellers had them for great prices.  Sigh.

-Roy