 Robotics / 15746
OT: Of Interest To Robotics Folks? NO!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 19:33:49 GMT

Re: Of Interest To Robotics Folks? Perhaps...>As a blunt but appropriate
reminder; what software do you get when
you buy a brand new copy of LEGO Mindstorms RIS 1.5 - it's all
Windows based tripe! There is no out of the box MacOS support.

...and it says so on the box.

If you've chosen the operating system equivalent of Betamax*, you're going to
have to deal with the fact that many developers won't or can't write software
you can use. It's silly to whine about it - or, worse, act as if Mac support is
somehow owed to you. You chose the Mac, after all.

In truth, I doubt that I like Micro$oft any better than you do, but there are
certain realities to be faced here. Macs are used almost exclusively in the
graphics design, music, and educational markets - there aren't that many in
homes. LEGO has evidently made a business decision to support the major home OS
only with their products; the same decision is made by thousands of other
developers daily.

Come on K'Nex. I hope they give LEGO a run for their money (and market share).

Fat chance - but if you like K'Nex so well, I wish you'd find a K'Nex mailing
list / forum to say so in. As far as I'm concerned, you're just trolling now.

Issac.

*Note: Before you throw bricks (the unfriendly, non-ABS kind) at me, remember
that Betamax is a superior format to VHS, and has long been used in broadcast
TV. My comparison is meant to illustrate that being the best doesn't ensure the
biggest market share, and that sometimes one must make a considered decision to
use a lesser product with greater support.

--
MIME ATTACHMENTS DISCARDED:

1.  Content-Type: text/html;
    charset="iso-8859-1"