 Robotics / 15652
Re: Of Interest To Robotics Folks? Perhaps...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 22:11:37 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, DanL08@aol.com writes:
I hate to burst your bubble, but the educational division of LEGO has had a
Mac version of the Mindstorms product out for years

And it only costs an extra $100 per system to set up v. Windows! What a DEAL!

The K'Nex product was not
being shown on Macs and I seem to remember that it was a serial connection
similar to the LEGO product.

Must note in case it was not implied-HATE K'Nex, WOULDN'T buy it. However,
they ARE pre-packaging the set as Mac native (adapters and all, even if they
were too lazy to build USB and write USB drivers)...

I was actually at NECC this week and got to see
the new USB towers for Mindstorms working directly on iMacs.  They said that
they would be launching the new version of RoboLab that works with Macs and
the USB tower this summer. They also said that they would be at MacWorld
showing the new product and some pricing.

This is wonderful news! Thanks for sharing it...it's what I've been waiting
to hear since I first saw MindStorms. I assume that we are talking Mac
native for retail as well as education...there is the departure of which I
spoke. Consumer level Mac support from LEGO is non-existant...in all arenas
(can't count the My Style software...that stuff is truly stinky...my 2 year
old enjoys it though).

Matt