 Robotics / 15694
Re: How to pick up a CD?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 02:52:13 GMT

You should have no problem generating enough vacuum to lift a CD using the
standard Lego pneumatics.  The large pneumatic ram should provide plenty of
vacuum.  If not, use two.

The harder part is how to maintain that vacuum.  I can't think of a Lego
only solution.  I would cheat and use a suction cup.  Drill a small hole in
it, just big enough to fit tightly around a piece of stiff pneumatic hose.
Use flexible hose to attach the suction cup to the base of a pneumatic ram.
Extend the ram to generate a vacuum.  Retract the ram to release the vacuum.