 Robotics / 15387
RE: Win2K and IR Tower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 14:18:21 GMT

Hi All,

I've been following the thread about Win2K leaving the tower
green light on all the time. I was wondering about this myself...

It seems that my tower has very poor range ever since I used
it on my Win2K laptop. Does anyone else have similar experience?

Also, I found that in my experiments, some towers are better
at transmitting random bytes that others. Also, the scheme
that LEGO developed to "balance" the bits in a transmission
is very effective in increasing the range of reliable messages.

Once again, John Barnes and others point out that the first symptom
of impending tower failure is reduced range. John *speculates* that this
may be due to overheating the LED.

The LED is easily replaced, I'm now considering doing that to see if
there is any improvement.

Cheers, Ralph