 Robotics / 15371
Re: Laptop Tower Communications - not
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 18:50:14 GMT

Yes, I replaced the batteries on both towers.  The fact that both towers are
trashed with similar failure modes (although one now doesn't receive at all) and
stopped working at approximately the same time suggests an external agent
causing the failure.  The only change in the use environment that I can ID is
the computer - I upgraded to the Win2k box.  The sequence of failure is even
more suspicious; my at-home Mindstorm system failed, so I borrow the tower from
the system we're using at work for robotic research and verified that it was my
tower that was bad, and now the work system's tower is failing.  My suspicion is
that, by unplugging the tower, you saved the tower from permanent damage.

Tilman Sporkert wrote:

Greg,
  of course you tried putting in new batteries first, right? Most of the
tower problems can be resolved by putting in a new battery. The green LED
will still light up even if the battery is too weak to allow proper
communications with the brick. And if the green LED is lit constantly, the
battery will be drained quickly.
  I've noticed this with Windows 2000 myself. On my Windows 2000 desktop
system (neither a DELL nor a laptop), the green LED would come on as soon as
I boot up the machine, even if I don't use any of the RCX software. I ended
up unplugging the tower.

  Tilman