 Robotics / 15383
Re: Programming Scout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 06:05:34 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Niels Holme <holme@eecs.umich.edu> writes:
I have been looking for some information on how to program the Scout
Brick, does anybody have a link to a good starting point, I got the
Scout SDK from lego's website, but are there any alternatives around
out there for the scout?

You can program the Scout using Not Quite C.  There is a command line flag
to set the target to the Scout.  There is also a new version of the RCX
Command Center from John Hansen that works pretty well.  Using it you can
program the scout, or control it directly using a joystick or mouse.

For a start I would like to make a simple program that would allow
me to control the motor output on the scout from the RCX without
having to resend commands from the rcx every 1/2 second. This I
think I should be able to do, by overwriting
the default action caused by a message event. It might also be cool
if I could get the touch sensors on the Scout to cause messages to
be send back to the RCX, any suggestions ?

The scout can use messages just like the RCX.  Your program can do whatever
it wants with the message.  For example, I wrote a "tag" program that I can
run on my rcx and two scouts (the same program on each).  When the brick
that is "it" touches something (as sensed by a touch sensor), it sends a
message asking if the obstacle is another brick.  If another brick is also
sensing something touched, it assumes it was "tagged", and becomes "it".
It's fun to watch.

I also wrote a programmer for the micro-scout using the scout's Visual Light
Link.  Touch sensors are used to enter commands into the scout (one sensor
is for tapping in the desired command, the other is "Enter").  It was pretty
easy to do, and makes the micro-scout much more useful.  By the way, does
anyone know what the VLL command "Code" is supposed to do?