 Robotics / 15239
Re: LEGO Electro-magnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 07:51:14 GMT

Hello Rainer,

True! But simplicity sometimes takes a long time to be acheived ;)

But there may be some use in flyback and series diodes: Andreas says that
his magnet consumes 9mA, below what is available through sensor ports in
active mode. So a magnet could be also commanded through these ports,
switching from active(light) sensor type and passive(touch) sensor type.
These ports are probably not so much protected for inductive loads.

A last question for the use of input ports: will the remaining magnetization
caused by the 10k pullup in passive mode be low enough to release payload ?

Philo
http://www.philohome.com

Hi Philippe,

you're right, but you don't need this flyback diode, as Philip Taylor mentioned
here : http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=15158
Because you don't need a flyback diode, you also don't a diode in series.

Rainer

P.S.: I had the same ideas than you mentioned above ;-)