 Robotics / 15156
Re: LEGO Electro-magnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 17:23:43 GMT

Rainer Balzerowski <balze2@gmx.net> wrote in message
news:GBuG0y.EAv@lugnet.com...
Hi all,

there is another thing you should think about. When using an • electo-magnet, you
use a coil. This coil stores energie, so if you switch it off, the coil • gives
this energy free. (This is the energy your ignition-sparks gets from an
ignition coil in your car). This might damage your RCX. You should use a • diode
(1N4007 for example) to unload this energy. Attach the diode in the
blocking direction. Now you have to be sure to attach it the right way. • (Or use
another diode in series to proof right connection).
We used such a magnet in a contest. Look here for the Drops collector :
http://www.informatik.fh-hamburg.de/~lego/Projekte/projekte_englisch.html
(We used the magnet of a 6V Finder relay, which was able to hold a 500g • hammer
with a current of ca. 30mA)
Rainer

Because motors also contain electromagnets, I imagine they would have the
same problem, so does the RCX have built-in protection against this?

--
Philip Taylor
http://robowarriors.ultrastore.com