 Robotics / 15230
Re: Team Challenge vs RIS1.5
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 18:29:54 GMT

I just received a team challenge set and have been able to compare the parts
lists.  For the record:

Compared to RIS 1.5

Team Challenge set has:
Power jack on the RCX
20 extra 2x4 black bricks
6 2x6 black bricks
8 2x8 black bricks
2 2x2 flat turntables
2 extra angled plates
3 extra bevel gears
4 green curved 2x6 bricks
twice as many (8) 1x2 bricks with crosses (instead of holes)
Mac cables

Team Challenge set is missing:
clutch gear
13 axels
6 angled beams
5 bands
4 axle couplers
4 axle pegs? (these blue pegs with an axle cross on the end)
The clear-blue connector pieces (the ones that work with the double yellow pegs)

There are a few other differences as well, but these are the major ones.  I
don’t have a parts list for RIS 1.0 so I’m not sure how those compare.  It’s
been suggested to me that the Team Challenge set is more comparable to the
parts that came with RIS 1.0, but I have no idea.

-Tim

In lugnet.robotics, Tom Heverly writes:
My experience has been that the Dacta team challenge set contains alot
of larger bricks, such as 2x4,  2x6, 2x8 and maybe 2x10 ,  all black.
There are even 2x2 corners that are full brick height, also black.
The largest brick in the 1.5 RIS is, 2x4, I think.

I dont recall if there is a clutch gear, but I think the selection of
wheels is smaller, and there doesn't seem to be very many shorter
axels.

The big plus I can think of for the Dacta kit, is the power jack on
the RCX, nice for static robots that will be on for a long time.