 Robotics / 15178
Re: Animatronics anyone?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 17:07:52 GMT

"Steve Baker" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
news:3AD91A97.C941EF2C@airmail.net...

I'm looking into the possiblity of building an animatronic version of • Tux - the Linux
Penguin.

This is an *insanely* cute idea. I love it!

Does anyone have any experience of this kind of thing that they could
share?

I supose the only thing I could suggest here is making your mechanism
flexible, and allow it to "Fail". I mean to say... if you install some
"springiness" between the gear drive and the "beam" installed in the
particular limb to actuate it, you can prevent any damage to your mechanism
(thus increasing reliability) by allowing the mechanism to absorb for any
overdriving (the fabric might be resistant), or even allow a bit of
interactivity between anyone watching/touching Tux and the drive.

Especially the practical issues of retaining enough 'stuffing' material to • keep the
shape right - yet not clogging up the mechanisms.

This could be a bit difficult, but if you build the frame/mechanisms, and
cover the mechanisms with plates (ensuring there is no exposed gearing) you
should be ok. The new gearmotors require a minimal of external gear
reduction (in fact, if you put a worm on the gearmotor shaft, and ran that
on a 24-tooth gear, that might be an optimal movement speed... and require
very little space!). Perhaps you could put the entire framework inside of a
plastic bag (or plastic bags), which might ensure that the fluff doesn't
interfere at all.

*someone* must have done this before...right?

I'm afraid that I havn't... but I'm very interested in your project, and
wish you the best of luck!

    Iain