 Robotics / 15150
15149  |  15151
Subject:
Lego biped links
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 07:58:06 GMT

Hi there,

Chilling at home for 4 days during Easter would be a lot better if the mail
had delivered my Vision Command kit before the holidays. It didn't, so I'm
forced to postpone major additions to the Technic Puppy site which require
digital photo and video.

In the meantime, typical Amsterdam weather invites me to stay at home, with
the laptop, with the Lego ...

Cutting to the chase:

1. I've uploaded a list of 20+ Lego Technic biped walkers.
http://www.geocities.com/technicpuppy/lblinks.html

2. I've come up with a Yoccha's Reformed Demigod of Pure White
(http://www.isogawastudio.co.jp/legostudio/modelgallery_model/a018.html)
-inspired biped called Hammerhead. I've put a preview picture at the bottom
of the biped link list. More to follow soon.

3. I am in the final stages of creating a mechanical device that walks on
two legs and can turn fairly sharply. It uses 3 motors: 1 for general
walking motion, pretty similar to Hammerhead and Yoccha's RDPW and one on
each ankle to turn. As I write, it's rhythmically switching its weight from
one leg to the other and lifting the opposite foot in the air. I can also
make it spin on one foot.

I will not say more for the time being, but will soon release additional
stuff about the project. I am definitely interested in making this some kind
of collaborative effort, as I am getting the knack of biped walking
mechanics but have been very lazy in the programming department (as in not
learning even semi-basic stuff about the RCX).

The interest for RCX coders out there is that this new walker, let's call
him Dotto, can be steered around by the RCX using two touch sensors to
determine which foot is touching the ground and an additional sensor to
follow a line, check proximity via IR, etc.

Anyway, back to the lab ...