 Robotics / 15140
Re: Robotic kits for schools
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 17:27:10 GMT

Bill Langevin wrote:

I teach a grade 10 design and technology class and have an opportunity to
acquire some
funds for robotic kits, I've heard of Lego mindstorms and some of our high
schools are using
kits which I think are called Techniques?

Yes - Technic's.

There are two Lego Mindstorms sets to consider:

The Robotics Invention Systems (RIS) cost about $200 each and contain a ton of
Lego Technics parts, a light sensor, to 'bump sensors' (switched) and two motors.
They also contain the all-important 'RCX' module which is a small computer built
into a 4"x2.5"x1.5" 'brick'.  There is an infra-red transmitter/reciever that
you can connect to your PC to download programs into the RCX that can read the
sensors and drive the motors.

The Robotics Discovery System (RDS) is a little cheaper but has a much inferior
computer 'brick' called the 'Scout'.  This is essentially not designed to be
programmed via the PC and instead it has a set of pre-programmed 'behaviours'
that are rather limiting for serious robot builders.  You also do not get the
Infra-Red link that comes with the RIS set. The 'Scout' brick also has less
inputs and outputs and has a built-in light sensor that's a lot less useful
than the one in the RIS set.

Lego also make some much cheaper sets with a 'StarWars' theme - don't consider
those.

Either of these sets can then be used to build a nearly infinite variety of
devices such mobile robots that can sense information about the world and react
to it, robot 'arm's, etc.  But if you also intend to teach basic programming
techniques, you need the RIS set.

(At the risk of confusing the issue: it is actually possible to use the InfraRed
link that comes with the RIS set to send very small programs to the Scout - but
that's probably not a lot of use to you).

The existing Lego Technics parts that your school already owns will work with
the Mindstorms sets to allow your students to build even more complex contraptions
using this system.

Lego provide a 'visual' programming language for the RCX on a CD that comes
with that set - there are also a wide range of freeware programming systems
for the RCX that various enthusiasts have put together.  The 'NQC' (Not Quite
C) programming language is probably the most popular because it's very easy
to use and helps your students to learn 'C' - which is a very common programming
language for just about every computer on the planet.

You can get a good feel for what this set can do from the Lego Mindstorms web
site  www.legomindstorms.com

Another resource you might want to consider looking at is the Lego Dacta range
which are custom designed Technics and Mindstorms sets for schools...to my mind,
they seem a little overpriced compared to conventional Lego sets - but they
are packaged more robustly to withstand the rigours of the classroom and come
with teachers guides and so on.

Since other Lego products integrate very smoothly with Mindstorms, and Lego
make a ton of other accessories, you could later extend your range of parts
to add pneumatic pumps and actuators, heat sensors, rotation sensors and a
vast array of building parts from other Lego sets.

Conclusion:  If your school can afford at least (say) one RIS set per 3 or 4
students - and if you have somewhere with at least a couple of computers for
them to use to write RCX programs - then this is probably the best
science/engineering/software learning tool that money can buy.  I can't think
of any other resource that would teach as much - at *any* price.

If you have the funds to do this, I *strongly* recommend that you subscribe
to this mailing list - you'll find considerable inspiration here.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>