 Robotics / 15088
    Re: Struggling with encoder wheel —Dean Hystad
   (...) I was wondering how you were handling the edge conditions. Have you tried making a wheel which is a continuous gradiant from black to white over the 360 degrees of rotation? Lookup wouldn't be required as there would be a direct relationship (...) (23 years ago, 12-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Struggling with encoder wheel —Chris Osborn
   (...) The light sensor just doesn't have that kind of resolution. I'd never get a very accurate position by doing that, I wanted a finer positioning system than I can get from using a rotation sensor. I'm trying to build something that's got (...) (23 years ago, 12-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Struggling with encoder wheel —Dean Hystad
   (...) I did an experiment printing out many different gradients and I now understand part of your problem. It was hard to get any change in the reading (~40 - 50). So next I then cut a wedge shaped slit in a piece of white paper. Aiming the sensor (...) (23 years ago, 13-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Struggling with encoder wheel —Chris Osborn
   (...) That was the first version of the webcam mount. After rotating back and forth a few times you can't tell where the camera is anymore. There also aren't any 42 tooth gears BTW, just a 40. Last night I used the datalog to record what the light (...) (23 years ago, 13-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Struggling with encoder wheel —Dean Hystad
   (...) I have noticed the lost count phenomenon also (you attribute it to gear slop on you web page, but gear slop will give you errors in the 1/2 a tooth range or less and it doesn't get worse over time). In fact there was a very long thread about (...) (23 years ago, 13-Apr-01, to lugnet.robotics)