 Robotics / 14452
Re: Programming languages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:34:24 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Tom Trentham writes:
"Malcolm S Powell" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message

I too would have tried LegOS if installing it were not so much like the • more
tedious computing chores I have to do at work everyday. Is there something
intrinsically wrong with distributing binaries that will run on the most
common platforms?

<snip>

Funny how when I think about installing LegOS these memories come to the
surface:-)

I'd just like to say that LegOS is definitely worth the trouble if you want
a serious development language which offers (from the webpage):

"Priority-based pre-emptive multitasking, energy saving, dynamic memory
management, POSIX semaphores, native access to display, buttons, IR
communication, motors and sensors, full-featured language, random number
generation, floating point math, multiple programs".

But most of all I found it remarkably easy to install and setup even on my
Win98 machine.  The most frustrating part was downloading the required
components due to my snail-speed 33.6 modem.
Once I had all of the necessary files, actually installing Cygwin,
ActivePerl and LegOS was easy and everything worked first time.

I'm not saying that this will always be the case, but it's worth a try
because IMHO LegOS is great and opens up a whole new world of RCX
programming.

Thanks to everyone involved in LegOS,

Tom.

(A very satisfied customer)

Thanks a bunch, Tom. I and the other folks involved in legOS (even those of us
who don't have enough time on our hands right now :( appreciate it.

think): there are binaries for windows. There have been for over a year, nearly
two by now. There are (IMHO) quite clean instructions for installing them. I'm
not really sure what more can be done, past that.
BTW, there is nothing "intrinsically wrong" with distributing binaries for the
most popular platforms. But that said, I won't install Windows or learn Windows
development just so that I can provide packages for folks, especially when
there are already packages available and plenty of tools with which folks could
make their own packages if they desired, and when installing Windows makes my
box less stable and less powerful. If others (including you) want to come up
with better windows packages, legOS.sourceforge.net will be happy to host them.
I just won't do them myself.
Luis

P.S. I think Paolo Masetti (paolom@pragmanet.it) is planning a new release of
the Windows tools soon. He's put a ton of work into the windows packages over
the years (god, I can't believe it has been two years now!) and I think he is
looking for some beta testers, if folks here are interested.