 Robotics / 14383
Re: Programming languages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 08:06:56 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ben Erwin writes:
I can only speak from experience about programming >languages that use the standard firmware, since >that's all I've used.

*Spirit.OCX (I've used VB and J++): The worst way to >program in the standard firmware.  non-intuitive
syntax (even if you replace the numbers with >variable names).  lot's of ugly periods hanging >around.  I only learned/used this when I was making >VB programs for all of the robots in my book and >putting them onto the CD-ROM.  Other than that I
never use it.  I'm sure some of the GUI interfaces >that people have made for use with the Spirit are >pretty good, but I haven't checked them out for more >than a minute each.

*RCX Code: Graphical.  OCX dependency.  The easiest >way to write a quick-and-dirty sequential, >simple-multitasking, and simple looping kinds of >programs.  Not good for much else.  Good for kids >with low motor skills/attention span.  No variables >(yet) besides a simple counter.

*NQC: There are some things that you can do with NQC >that you can't do with ROBOLAB (I'm not sure exactly >what - maybe someone else can elaborate).  Good
if you're already used to C.  I first learned NQC >when I translated all of Dave's programs for his >first book into ROBOLAB for his CD-ROM (check 'em >out, I included jpg's too).  It took me a week, and >it wasn't a pleasant experience because I find >ROBOLAB much more intuitive.

*ROBOLAB: Graphical, like a flowchart.  Written in >LabVIEW.  No OCX dependency.
The best standard firmware solution in my _biased_ >opinion.  There are things that you can do with >ROBOLAB that you can't do with NQC (in an >out-of-the-box sense): Internet Communication, >Graphing, Calculations on Data, Turn programs
into Web pages, etc.  Very intuitive.

Dont forget Gordon's Brick Programmer (GBP)
(though I still have to figure out what routines, tasks and etc. are)

--Electro--

For non-standard-firmware languages, there is YBL >(yellow brick logo) from the media lab, legOS, >pbForth, ... ??