 Robotics / 14382
Re: Programming languages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 07:40:38 GMT

John Barnes wrote:

I would like the freedom offered by a development system
which compiles directly to a native binary.

It would seem that you have to be familiar with unix  and its derivatives
in order to be able to accomplish this. My attempts to use LegOS
have been total failures. I have made the suggestion to one or two
people that a CD-R with everything preconfigured to copy to your
hard drive and run would make it much easier to get running. None
of my offered bribes have worked though :(

I too would have tried LegOS if installing it were not so much like the more
tedious computing chores I have to do at work everyday. Is there something
intrinstically wrong with distributing binaries that will run on the most
common platforms?

My first programs were into to an Elliot-803 computer with a delay line memory
from 5 track paper tape. This was not so bad as my first programs were only a
few yards long. The big problem was that you had to put in the Algol compiler
and its libraries first and they were on reels of 5 track paper tape 8 inches
in diameter! I never did get that chess program to work because the number of
times you got the tapes in without a tear was very small.

...but I moved on and it all got so much better because I was using a Digital
PDP-8 and the compiler and an odd little thing we did not have before called an
"operating system" were stored on little magnetic tapes and all I had to do was
to start it up by entering the first 20 or 30 instructions of the "bootstrap"
in binary on a set of switches. I got so good at this that I could get it right
first time about 6 times out of 10.

...<decades roll past>

...but I moved on and now I have a machine with a Giga byte of memory and
dozens of Giga bytes of hard disk and a processor clocked at over 1GHz and it
starts up all by itself! When I want to run a program I twitch my finger twice
after pointing at a picture of it on my desktop and I can install other
programs by doing the same thing.

Funny how when I think about installing LegOS these memories come to the
surface:-)

Malcolm S Powell