 Robotics / 14279
Re: IR
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 16:13:14 GMT

lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Steve Baker) writes:

"Oscar H. Carrasquero" wrote:

        I´m wondering if i can use the computer's memory and microprocessor
behalf the RCX´s memory and microprocessor. maintaining the link between the
RCX and the computer all the time.

Yes - providing there is a 'line of sight' between the IR 'tower' and the
RCX's IR window.  If the robot is facing away from the tower, it won't
see messages sent by your PC...if it drives under a table or something...
same problem.

Actually the IR link may work even when the RCX is not facing the IR tower.
If the range of both devices is set to `far', IR light reflections may be
strong enough to be `seen' by IR receivers.  That's true only for short
distance however, say 3-4 meters.  For me the IR link works even in an
adjacent room, but performances vary from case to case: ambient light,
object surfaces, interference sources... are important.

You may also check legOS (http://legos.sourceforge.net/).  It gives you
more control and more power from the RCX compared to the standard firware.
That may lessen the demand for bandwidth, but this dependes entirely on
your application.

bye
Bernardo