 Robotics / 14278
Re: IR
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 04:52:48 GMT

"Oscar H. Carrasquero" wrote:

        I´m wondering if i can use the computer's memory and microprocessor
behalf the RCX´s memory and microprocessor. maintaining the link between the
RCX and the computer all the time.

Yes - providing there is a 'line of sight' between the IR 'tower' and the
RCX's IR window.  If the robot is facing away from the tower, it won't
see messages sent by your PC...if it drives under a table or something...
same problem.

So, if everything is facing the right way - and the range is not too
far, the computer inside the RCX and your PC can exchange messages -
so in a sense, the Robot is using your PC as an external resource.

The communications link isn't especially fast though - so doing something
like using the PC's memory to store data that won't fit inside the RCX
might work - but too slowly to be useful...that depends on your application
though.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>