 Robotics / 14193
RE: Pneumatic tubing...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 14:48:05 GMT

I measured some today, and I'd bet a micro scout that it's 4mm OD x 2mm ID.
I suspect the material is actually polyurethane, although silicone would
work just as well.

It's easy to find the 4mm OD, but the 2mm ID is tough.  I couldn't find
anything in the usual pneumatics catalogs, some of which are European.
There does seem to be a standard 4mm x 2.4/2.5mm, but that may be a bit
loose.  Most pneumatic fittings grab the OD, even the very small ones.
Barbs are used only on the smallest of fittings, because with significant
air pressure the tubing swells and blows off the fitting.

Interestingly, the barbs on Lego fittings and valves measure almost exactly
0.125" OD, decidedly not metric.

Good luck, happy hunting!

Jeff

Jeffrey Hazen
North Mill Technology
jeffrey.hazen@northmill.net

-----Original Message-----
From: JP Brown [SMTP:envcons@ameritech.net]
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001 4:47 PM
To: lugnet.robotics@lugnet.com
Subject: Pneumatic tubing...

I know I've seen someone suggest a non-LEGO source for tubing compatible
with
LEGO pneumatics, but after half and hour of searching through past posts I
can't
locate it (so sorry for any repitition).  I have tried auto parts stores
(vacuum
tubing -- too thick) and RC model shops (poly tubing -- a bit stiff).  Does
anyone have a good sense of

* the exact material used for the LEGO pneumatic tubing (looks like it
might be
silicone to me, but I'm not an expert)
* dimensions for the ID, OD and wall thickness (probably metric, since it's
LEGO).

TIA

JP