 Robotics / 1406
Re: CM: Triple gait cycle hexapod
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 08:58:45 GMT

lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Laurentino Martins) writes:

I also have a CyberMaster but don't have enough technic pieces to
build one of those :-( What models would you recommend me to purchase
that have enough pieces for me to build something similar?  (what
about the space shuttle?)

Well, the pieces you probably don't have are the worm gears and the
yellow gear boxes.  There are some worm gears and other interesting
stuff in the 8480 Space Shuttle, but it has the old style 9V motor,
which is probably only better than the new geared 9V motor in
applications where it drives a compressor.  The Space Shuttle is a nice
set to get started with electronics, though, as it has two pole
reversers, some leads and a conducting plate.  And many, many 16t cogs!

For gears and stuff, I would rather recommend the accessory packs

    http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=5229

and

    http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=5288

I don't know about Portugal, but here in Norway it is very simple to
order packs like that.

Note that the structures around the "hips" of the legs in front and rear
are not drawn in the LDraw diagrams.  But it is a very simple structure
consisting of a 17x5 rectangle made up of two layers of standard beams.
You also need to put up some sensors to detect when the legs are
centered, but that's not too difficult.

You did see the diagram from above and oblique, right?  Perhaps it
wasn't too clear in the web page.

I may put up a picture of the hexapod some time in the future, but
probably not for a month or two, so don't hold your breath.  ;-)

Fredrik