 Robotics / 13972
Re: Sharing USB cable between IR and VC?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 17:15:47 GMT

Camus Lai wrote:

In lugnet.robotics, Dean Husby writes:

Hao-yang Wang wrote:

The Vision Command camera is connected to the PC using USB. In RIS 2.0 the
IR tower will use USB too. Can I put both the VC camera and the IR tower on
the mobile robot, and make them share the same umbilical cord to the PC?
Will I also need to put a "hub" or something like that on the robot?

If I understand USB you will need a HUB. You can't just splice them together.

It seems there are possibility because :-
1. There are actually a USB hub inside the CAM. Both the logitech cam and
mic are connected to this hub. (That's why you find 3 devices in the windows
9.x after you installed the driver)
2. The case material is transparent. It means a IR or light signal can
passthru and reach the RCX.

1. The "hub" inside the camera will not help you unless it actually has
additional "ports" on it. It's probably a one port "USB Hub" which is
present as a result of logitech using someone else's USB solution
instead of developing a custom ASIC.

2. If the case material is literally transparent, IE, looks like a
window, then that will work fine. If it's actually translucent, IE, it's
frosted or mottled, then IR should work fine at short range (probably
good enough for your purposes) through the plastic, but not at long
ranges. I don't see how this really makes a difference unless you're
trying to get the circuitry of the USB tower INSIDE the camera. I guess
that this is the point, but I can see a problem. I think that that is
probably unlikely to fit, but I haven't seen the board in the USB tower
yet. However, the USB support circuitry is probably significantly bigger
than the board inside the serial tower.

In any case, this is not likely to work, but if you're handy with a
logic probe, might as well take a sniff in there and see if the required
signals are present, just for a giggle.