 Robotics / 13612
Re: Different motor speeds?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 20:40:20 GMT

Doc Kinne wrote:

        I've build a very (VERY) simple robot that basically consists
of two medium sized wheels coupled directly to the motors so I could
begin to play around with the programing.  I've noticed that one
motor seems to go ever so slightly faster than the other even with
the power setting to the motors A and C set identically.  This
causes my little 'bot to go in a wide circle when it is supposed
to be going straight.

        Is this a fault in one of my motors or is it a basic flaw of
design I can fix by using gears to couple the wheels to the motors or
something?

Well, we've talked a bout this quite a lot over the past month or so -
and as I'm sure others will say - you can't guarantee that all motors
have identical speeds - and it's known that the motors spin slightly
faster "forwards" than "backwards".

All of this means that you have to work hard to get the robot to go
in a straight line.

Either:

  1) Use some kind of a mechanism where one motor drives the robot
     forwards - and the other steers.

Or:

  2) Get a rotation sensor and use it to measure the relative speeds
     of the two motors using a differential - then in software, 'Float'
     whichever motor is going faster until the rotation sensor tells you
     you are pointing in the right direction.

Or:

  3) Get TWO rotation sensors and measure the total rotation of each wheel.
     That allows you to measure how much you've turned as well as the
     speed of the robot.  Once again, 'Float' the motor that's going too
     fast whenever one rotation sensor reads higher than the other and you'll
     go straight.

Or:

  4) Use some kind of external landmark to guide the robot - aim towards
     a bright light - follow a line on the ground, etc.

In the end, because wheels slip and have slightly different radii, even mechanisms
(1), (2) and (3) won't get you a *perfectly* straight line - you'll have to use (4)
if you need precision navigation.

If you want to go with (2) or (3) but don't have a rotation sensor, you
can use a light sensor and a rotating black and white disk instead.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>