 Robotics / 13605
Re: Different motor speeds?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 28 Dec 2000 16:24:44 GMT

Folks: 1040EST 363-2000

So few days left in the year, eh?

Is this a fault in one of my motors or is it a basic flaw
of design I can fix by using gears to couple the wheels
to the motors or something?

According to what I've read, all LEGO motors spin better in
one direction than another.  And you're going to be
hard-pressed to find two motors that spin at exactly the
same speed in the same direction, too, as you face slight
variations in the weight of the internal flywheels to the
number of windings in the coils to yet other factors.

Yes, gears will help you overcome this obstacle:
differential gears, specifically.

--k