 Robotics / 13574
  Can the touch sensor be used as a momentary switch? (without RCX)

I never bothered picking up a Mindstorms set, as I have enough trouble finding time for more traditional building and I know I wouldn't get good use from the RCX. So I don't have a touch sensor of my own. But I'm wondering if it can be used for (...) (24 years ago, 27-Dec-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Can the touch sensor be used as a momentary switch? (without RCX)

(...) Yes you can ! It isn't anything else but a momentary switch ! You have to connect your wire to one of the two pins on the right and one of the two pins on the left. (Or connect your wire to the holes of the touch sensor - there are two little (...) (24 years ago, 27-Dec-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Can the touch sensor be used as a momentary switch? (without RCX)

(...) I've been thinking about this. It would be great to use it as a switch but I haven't found the logic in it yet. I've used some trial and error to try to find the correct wire positioning but I think I'll have to bring out my multimeter and (...) (24 years ago, 27-Dec-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

"Tony Hafner" <hafhead@PANTSplanetquake.com> wrote in message news:G67yvA.LJ0@lugnet.com... (...) a (...) I (...) No, since it contains a 500 ohm resistor it wouldn't make a very good switch. -a (24 years ago, 27-Dec-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Can the touch sensor be used as a momentary switch? (without RCX)

(...) It's like this : ^ 1 O_/_O 4 | | 2 O O 5 3 O O 6 ^ - marks the yellow button _/_ should be the switch 1 and 2 are connected 4 and 5 are connected the switch is between 1 and 4 (or 2 - 4 or 1 - 4 or 1 - 5) Understandable ???? Rainer (24 years ago, 27-Dec-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Can the touch sensor be used as a momentary switch? (without RCX)

(...) I may be wrong, but I opened one of them and don't find any resistor ?!?! Are there perhaps different versions of touch sensors ?? Or is the black contact in the switch the resistor ?? (Or is a 500 ohm resistor in the RCX at its input ?) (...) (24 years ago, 27-Dec-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Can the touch sensor be used as a momentary switch? (without RCX)

Shit, the white spaces haven't the same size as in the editor. (perhaps better now) ^ 1 O_/_O 4 | | 2 O O 5 3 O O 6 Rainer (24 years ago, 27-Dec-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Can the touch sensor be used as a momentary switch? (without RCX)

(...) It will work neither with a motor nor with a lamp (I tried that). The switch is made from conductive rubber whose resistance is too high (several hundred ohms). Jürgen (24 years ago, 27-Dec-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Can the touch sensor be used as a momentary switch? (without RCX)

(...) Sorry, I'm wrong !!! I didn't notice that this rubber is a kind of resistor !! Rainer (24 years ago, 27-Dec-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Can the touch sensor be used as a momentary switch? (without RCX)

(...) Unfortunately, the polarity switch is no longer available through Shop at Home. If it were, I'd pick up at least 4 of them. Ah, well- perhaps they'll start making it again. Thanks for the responses, everyone! It's bad news, but at least I (...) (24 years ago, 28-Dec-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)

  Re: Can the touch sensor be used as a momentary switch? (without RCX)

(...) It is still availible in Sweden through LEGO Service. Perhaps one should get a load and sell them to the US ,) It should also be availible in the rest of Europe since LEGO Service in Sweden ship their packets directly from Denmark to the (...) (24 years ago, 29-Dec-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic)