 Robotics / 13564
RE: Battery Eliminator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 26 Dec 2000 17:35:45 GMT

I got tried of always changing batteries so I purchased a 9V Battery
Eliminator from Radio Shack (273-1552) and connected it to a 9V
battery box
by soldering on 9v battery leads that snap on the 9V Battery
Eliminator.  I
used a volt meter to test everything and it all looks okay and has the
correct voltages (9.47V).  The problem that I am having is the motor run
very slow when the 9V Eliminator is connected to the leads that were
soldered on but with I connect a 9V battery to the leads
everything is fine
which tells me the connections are okay.  What am I missing?

Hart,

The battery eliminator is generally used for low current appliances
like transistor radios. It will not have enough power to drive a motor
at full capacity.

Put another way, a 9V battery can supply a lot of current at 9V, but
the battery eliminator will drop voltage when presented with a heavy
load like a motor.

Use a 9V 800mA Adapter instead, or consider going to alkaline rechargable
batteries.

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbForth>

Buy "Extreme Mindstorms: an Advanced Guide to Lego Mindstorms"
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1893115844/hempeldesigngrou>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com