 Robotics / 13556
Re: Tilt Sensors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 23 Dec 2000 22:41:37 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, sjbaker1@airmail.net writes:
Unfortunately, rotation sensors are quite coarse in
resolution - and I had to gear up the mechanism in order to get
the sensitivity up high enough.

Also, as I mentioned in another post, legOS had a bug where it would gain or
lose total counts sometimes.  I don't know if the default fw is susceptable
to this but I'm sure I tested it and mentioned it if you search the legOS
archives from about a year ago.

Moving the RCX left and right and using all
that battery weight to balance with might have worked - but I'd
given up in disgust by the time I thought of that!

Yeah, that's part of my plan, too.  But I never got a good tilt sensor going.

Part of the constructional difficulties I got myself into was
in trying not to have the steering column be vertical.

You're right.  The steering column has to be tilted if you want to use
steering to change the balance.  Try it vertial and tilted and watch the
geometry of the bike as you steer.

--Ben